[c-nsp] slow convergence for full bgp table on a Cisco 7613/SUP720-3BXL

Emanuel Popa emanuel.popa at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 09:20:59 EST 2007

Hi Gert,

We have no packet loss on the 10GE interfaces. We are using
control-plane policing but everything is configured properly. One of
the upgrades has been made using old IP addresses, so no change had to
be made in the access-lists used on the control plane.

I have attached an image with the cpu load graphs. The 5 min. averages
look good. But the 5 sec. averages look pretty bad. It has been like
this since we installed it and Cisco said it is not a carrier class
equipment and it was not built to hold as many bgp sessions with as
many prefixes. Also we are using control-plane policing. If we
wouldn't use it the IGP neighbors would flap a lot. Also we are
rate-limiting the TTL invalid packets because the traceroutes going
through this machine were overloading the RP CPU.

Thanks,
Emanuel