[c-nsp] 6509 w/WS-X6K-S2-MSFC2 vs 72xx/NPE-G2

TCIS List Acct listacct at tulsaconnect.com
Tue Mar 13 14:17:31 EST 2007

We are looking to build out additional routing and switching capacity in our two
Data Centers are are mulling our options.  Right now, we've got 4-5 72xx/VXR
platforms with NPE200/300/400's doing various routing and aggregation duties.
Our core is made up of two 7204VXR/NPE400's with a couple of DS-3s for transit
at each location (soon to be joined by an OC-3) and switching is done by
3550-48-EMIs out to the Co-lo customers.

Right now, we are looking at upgrading to the NPE-G2 at the core, or, going to
6509 w/WS-X6K-S2-MSFC2's and the FlexWan module for the DS-3 and OC-3 PA's.
Pricing for the 6509 in this config seems to be comparable or less than a -G2,
so I was looking for any pros/cons to the two different platforms.  We will be
taking full BGP feeds, running CEF, and have a few small ACLs, nothing fancy.

As far as switching, the pricing on the WS-X6348-RJ45's for the 6509's seems
very attractive, are there any pros/cons on using those blades vs stand-alone
3550-48-EMIs?

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA.

--Mike