[c-nsp] 6509 w/WS-X6K-S2-MSFC2 vs 72xx/NPE-G2

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Mar 13 14:41:36 EST 2007

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, TCIS List Acct wrote:

> Right now, we are looking at upgrading to the NPE-G2 at the core, or, going to
> 6509 w/WS-X6K-S2-MSFC2's and the FlexWan module for the DS-3 and OC-3 PA's.
> Pricing for the 6509 in this config seems to be comparable or less than a -G2,
> so I was looking for any pros/cons to the two different platforms.  We will be
> taking full BGP feeds, running CEF, and have a few small ACLs, nothing fancy.

How many full BGP feeds would you be handling?  One of the big limitations
of the Sup2s that drove many people to upgrade to the Sup720/3BXLs was the
maximum size of the TCAM table in the Sup2.  With a full BGP feed floating
around 200k routes, this is definitely a concern.  I need to look up the
table size, but I could see that being a show-stopper for you.

If you opt for the 720, don't forget that you need a Fan Tray 2 and you
may need to upgrade to the 3000W power supplies if you haven't already.
That upgrade may require pulling 208V/20A or 30A circuits to feed the
supplies.

jms