[c-nsp] %FIB-3-NOMEM: Malloc Failure, disabling CEF

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Mar 14 13:35:04 EST 2007

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Joe Maimon wrote:

> exception memory ?

Cool

(config)#exception memory ?
   fragment  Crash if we can't allocate contiguous memory above limit
   minimum   Crash if free memory pool shrinks below limit

(config)#exception memory fragment ?
   <1-4294967294>  bytes
   io              IO memory
   processor       Processor memory

(config)#exception memory fragment processor ?
   <1-4294967294>  bytes

Hmm...so I have to decide where the cutoff is and tell the router to crash
(reload) if memory gets low enough (and again for fragmented enough) that
some threshold I set is reached.

>> I suspect this is something many with NPE300's and lower can look forward
>> to in the coming months / year or two.
>
> Seen it already quite a few times. Also a product of IOS bugs....

Yeah, but as all the 256mb routers reach the point where full routes and
modern IOS just don't fit, I have a feeling this is going to be seen quite
a bit more frequently and widely.