[c-nsp] iChat AV and Cisco CBAC/NAT

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Mar 16 08:22:45 EST 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 08:18:25AM -0400, Rodney Dunn wrote:
> Send me any SR # where you have opened with TAC where you
> can prove we are non-RFC compliant and that SR was closed without
> a good explanation of why it was fixed.
>
> I'll follow up on it with the TAC engineer.

	There are not a lot of folks in the "AVVID" group that
actually know the SIP stuff that well.  The one time I got
any sort of a reasonable response was when I also alerted PSIRT
of the issue.  They can't even keep things like the behaviour of
the phone when the handset is picked up when the call is on
"Speaker+Mute" consistent between the SCCP + SIP releases.  Basically
I was told that I was wrong and that the phone shouldn't
unmute when the handset is picked up.  I told the tac engineer
to test with their desktop phone (SCCP) and they basically told me
where to go.

	I can really dig up the case number if you'd like, but it
was likely before the change to C3.  I understand the need to nurture
the SCCP cases as that's where most of the users are, but to have the
7970 SIP phone behaviour to be different than the 7960 SIP as well
as not even be able to do a sip register is a concern.  There just
isn't any significant test coverage of interoperability between SIP
stuff.

	Sorry to rant and rave, but I get annoyed every time I pick
up my desk phone off of speaker and it won't unmute.  I'd swap to
my 7970 but it can't register to my (non-cisco) SIP proxy.

	iChat/AV is an example of a standard SIP implementation that
needs some extra test coverage.. or at least some simple bug fixes.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net