[c-nsp] pppoe-client on subinterface trunk to a switch

Dan dan at technc.com
Sun Mar 18 21:11:04 EST 2007

Hello,

I have four adsl connections to my isp and I would like to be able to
replace my current cisco 2621 router and my four linux dsl routers with
one cisco 2801 router.  I would like to create a trunk between the
router and a 3560 switch, plug the dsl modems into the 3560 switch and
create vlan's between the 3560 and 2801 router, then setup pppoe-client
connections on the router.  Basically I would like to use 4 FE ports on
the switch instead of having to buy a hwic-4esw.

Is it possible to create 4 pppoe-client connections on the router using
subinterfaces?  Or do I have to have an Hwic-4esw card?

I have got the pppoe-client & dialer config working on fe0/1 on the 2801
router and connecting to my isp, but when i try to put the command
pppoe-client on the subinterface it does not allow it.  Is this an IOS
version issue or is the pppoe-client command only allowed on physical
interface.

I did find one other post related to this question but with using a
hwic-4esw card and the person did manage to create a pppoe-client
connection via the svi interface.
http://threebit.net/mail-archive/cisco-nsp/msg01281.html

Thanks,
Dan.