[c-nsp] Traffic Engineering considers bad ?

Thomas Telkamp telkamp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 06:56:53 EST 2007

To elaborate a bit on Phil's note: many people underestimate the
complexity of running an MPLS TE network. A considerable part of my
daily work I spend on helping networks to deal with MPLS TE issues
like keeping setup bandwidth in synch with actual traffic, proper
(traffic) balancing across parallel paths, preventing traffic sloshing
(from one tunnel to another) during failures, load-sharing over
parallel tunnels, etc.

Guy Tal presented a nice overview of all these issues at the last nanog meeting:

  http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0702/tal.html

And don't forget that TE is not necessarily synonymous with MPLS TE;
there are other TE methods such as (automated) tuning/optimization of
IGP metrics, that are available at a much lower operational
complexity.

Thomas