[c-nsp] ios roulette blues (6500/7600 SXF)

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Mar 20 08:59:11 EST 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Robert Boyle wrote:

> At 12:36 AM 3/20/2007, you wrote:
>> We've also had some issues getting the sup720's to boot SXF code.
>> Unfortunately, I haven't been on-site, and I don't have good intel on
>> exactly what happened, but with confreg set to 0x2102 and several valid
>> boot system flash disk0:... statements followed by a fallback boot system
>> flash sup-bootflash:... statement, the unit ended up refusing to boot
>
> Dumb question, but are you running the latest ROMMON code? We are running the
> same version you are trying and it works fine without any problems - however,
> we are also running the latest ROMMON code.

I think that may have been it.  We'd never looked at the ROMMON code.
It's been using the ROMMON code stored in the ROM/Gold region

Region F1: INVALID
Region F2: INVALID
Currently running ROMMON from S (Gold) region

I think I've just fixed that by loading c6ksup720-rm2.8-5-1.srec with
upgrade rom-monitor slot  5 sp file ...

Region F1: FIRST_RUN, preferred
Region F2: INVALID
Currently running ROMMON from S (Gold) region

Resolved caveats mention some issues with autoboot failures.

Am I correct in assuming there's no reason to mess with the rom-monitor
code on the RP?

#show rom-monitor slot 5 rp
Region F1: INVALID
Region F2: INVALID
Currently running ROMMON from S (Gold) region

Also, looking back at the crafted tcp packet advisory, I see I was
mistaken and we don't necessarily need to go to SXF latest...they did a
rebuild of SXD7 which we could use and I've downloaded now.  I suppose
we'll give it a try next and put off dealing with whatever causes the IP
forwarding failures we saw with SXF7 and SXF8.  Upgrading the ROMMON will
hopefully fix our booting issues, but I doubt it'll have any impact on the
SXF code not quite working.

Our CF cards are 512mb...so we have plenty of room for lots of images.