[c-nsp] ios roulette blues (6500/7600 SXF)

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Mar 20 00:02:15 EST 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 12:49:55AM -0400, Robert Boyle wrote:
> At 12:36 AM 3/20/2007, you wrote:
> >We've also had some issues getting the sup720's to boot SXF code.
> >Unfortunately, I haven't been on-site, and I don't have good intel on
> >exactly what happened, but with confreg set to 0x2102 and several valid
> >boot system flash disk0:... statements followed by a fallback boot system
> >flash sup-bootflash:... statement, the unit ended up refusing to boot
>
> Dumb question, but are you running the latest ROMMON code? We are
> running the same version you are trying and it works fine without any
> problems - however, we are also running the latest ROMMON code.

	There's a number of things that i'd check.

	1) monlib (perhaps something is funny if you're swapping
to disk0..  one of my 6500's says:

ATA MONLIB INFO
   Image Monlib size      69912
   Disk Monlib Size       69912
   Disk Space Available   77312
   Name                   c7200-atafslib-m
   Start sector           2
   End sector             138
   Updated By
   Version                1
   Monlib Version         2
   Monlib Params Version  1

You can update it with this command:

Router#upgrade filesystem monlib disk0:

	2) above - rommon code on BOTH the sup720 & mfsc3

	  Current images are:

            c6ksup720-rm2.8-5-1.srec (check via sh mod - The Fw column)
            c6msfc3-rm2.srec.122-17r.SX5 - check via sh ver -
ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)SX5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

	3) Going from SXD -> SXF6/7/8 is a HUGE jump.  If you can, perhaps
you want to look at going to SXE(latest) as an interim step.  You didn't
explicitly say(or i am illiterate/forgetful) that you needed the _wan
image.  that will possibly save a lot of ata/bootflash space.  At the
same time, i'd start stocking 1G flash cards so you can store a few images...
If you depending on what you have, you could easily run into at least
500m of software that you need to store locally soon.  This is if you
keep two versions of ios and two versions of some other device, eg: AGM
in your disk0:

	While I also believe that the upgrade should be seamless for you
from SXD->F8, you could have just found a new sw issue, or just have some
wonky hardware.  I remember once we spent a lot of time chasing some
error messages that were not properly diagnosed as a hw error.  Replacing the
hardware (or masking the ECC interrupt) worked nicely :)

	- jared
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net