[c-nsp] Resetting an err-disable state for non-Cisco XENPAK

Ed Butler ed.butler at rapidswitch.com
Thu Mar 22 11:28:59 EST 2007

We're running some OpNext DWDM Xenpaks. We have noticed the following
behaviour on two different 6500-Sup720 chassis.

1) Insert non-Cisco coded Xenpak
2) Xenpak is "rejected"
3) Use the "service unsupported transceiver" and "noerrdisable" commands
to allow Xenpak
4) Shutdown and re-enable the Xenpak
5) Xenpak is reported as "TenGigabitEthernet1/2 is down, line protocol
is down (faulty)"

I have tried reseating the Xenpak, but this does not clear the faulty
condition. The only way I managed to get the previous one up before was
to power cycle the 6704 card, which is hardly ideal.

Has anyone seen similar behaviour and resolved it without such drastic
measures?

Regards,

Ed Butler
RapidSwitch Ltd
DDI: 020 7106 0731

RapidSwitch Ltd, Sovereign House, 227 Marsh Wall, London, E14 9SD

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  No
representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of
viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the
recipient. RapidSwitch Ltd is registered in England & Wales Company No.
04535693, Registered Address: 3 Beacon Mews, South Road, Weybridge, KT13
9DZ. VAT Registration No. GB 794 3811 96. All prices exclude VAT unless
otherwise stated. Quotations valid for seven days.