[c-nsp] 7200s and fastethernet aggregator ?

Rodney Dunn rodney at cisco.com
Wed Mar 28 07:20:48 EST 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 01:11:42PM +0100, Kristofer Sigurdsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2007/3/28, Rodney Dunn <rodney at cisco.com>:
> >
> >Before a couple of months ago I had to agree with you Kristo.
> >
> >But maybe not now. ;)
> >
> >I just had to work an issue with overruns on the NPE-G100 Gig ports
> >ona  7304 because it couldn't keep up.
>

> I actually didn't comment on the 7304's, as I don't have any experience on
> those.  Does this also apply on the NPE-G2, perhaps?  In my experience, the
> NPE-G1 works very well, I haven't worked with G2 yet.

The G1 and G2 on the 72xx are all software forwarding engines with no hw
forwarding. The G2 can do fast rates but when you start adding a bunch
of features it will slow down oveall PPS numbers. If the PXF complex
in the NSE-150 can handle your features it can do them at line rate
up the forwarding capacity of the hardware engine. I *think* it's 4 Mpps
or so with the NSE-150.

> I've done up to 600-700 Mbit/s on NPE-G1 (7301), without any significant
> problems (nasty load, though, don't recommend it).

;) The performance is usually more of a factor of pps numbers so that
rate with large packet sizes might not be that much. At 64k byte voice
packets it might be on the higher side.