[c-nsp] 7513 T3 Card Question

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Wed Mar 28 23:32:09 EST 2007

Pete Templin wrote:
> Step back and analyze: do you really need NPE-G1 (a device rated around
> 1 million pps, so we'll figure 100kpps real-world) to handle ~6-8kpps?
> I'm showing about 4kpps on 4xCT3.  Consider NPE-225, and you'll see the
> price drop significantly.  Plus, you won't need Gig uplinks...but it may
> impact your scalability calculations.

Certainly don't need a NPE-G1, however I was trying to save bandwidth
points and slots in my head. I figure that a FE or two isn't going to
handle the ~500mbit of traffic that is potentially generated from 12 DS-3s.

> Redundant processors means your outage time shrinks from 360 seconds to
> ~45 seconds, on the rare occasion there's a processor outage.  However,
> you gain outage time whenever a processor "fakes" an outage, and the
> spare RSP takes over.

Honestly, never had a 'fake' outage in my time of using RSPs. That said,
my last NPE failure was a lot longer than 360s because it never came up
after rebooting.

> Using 6x7206 in the space of 1x7513 means 12xCT3 are impacted, not
> 36xCT3, and your other 64xCT3 are undisturbed.  That can be a good
> thing.  Given the simplicity of the code in a 7200 (no need for any dCEF
> code, no need to accommodate switching vectors for non-dCEF cards,
> etc.), you're getting a more stable platform in the 7206 than the 7513.
>
> Nutshell: I want 7206s (NPE-225, 2xOC3 uplinks, 4xPA-MC-2T3) for my
> ongoing CT3 deployments.

I agree - Splitting stuff up across multiple routers is always a "good
thing". Right now my 7500s experiences have been happy enough, plus from
a troubleshooting perspective I've got a bias towards that rather than
7200 since I'm more familiar with funky things they do and how to get
around it.

David