[c-nsp] 7513 T3 Card Question

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Thu Mar 29 13:12:38 EST 2007

David Coulson wrote:

> Honestly, never had a 'fake' outage in my time of using RSPs. That said,
> my last NPE failure was a lot longer than 360s because it never came up
> after rebooting.

What failover tool (RPR, RPR+, SSO) are you using?  I've had plenty of
surprises.  Sometimes it's just the standby RSP rebooting itself, but
it's a service-impacting event as well.

>> Nutshell: I want 7206s (NPE-225, 2xOC3 uplinks, 4xPA-MC-2T3) for my
>> ongoing CT3 deployments.
>
> I agree - Splitting stuff up across multiple routers is always a "good
> thing". Right now my 7500s experiences have been happy enough, plus from
> a troubleshooting perspective I've got a bias towards that rather than
> 7200 since I'm more familiar with funky things they do and how to get
> around it.

I can't get rid of my VIP2-50s fast enough (or my 7500s for that
matter).  Since a VIP is basically a 7202 in a card, I figure why go
with the added complexity of a 7500.  Rodney Dunn has said time and time
again that the 7500s were and are a challenge, since the platform has to
accommodate VIP->VIP, VIP->IP, IP->IP, and IP->VIP switching.  7200
doesn't have that challenge, and GSR was designed from the ground up as
a dCEF box, so the code is much cleaner in that respect.