[c-nsp] NetFlow for Bandwidth Billing

Adam Powers apowers at lancope.com
Wed May 2 10:47:35 EDT 2007

As a general statement, I believe NetFlow is an incredibly useful traffic
accounting technology ­ its application as a bandwidth billing mechanism is
proven. A few comments and things to consider based on my experience working
with NetFlow...

1. Find a collector that supports NetFlow deduplication. One of the biggest
challenge you run into with NetFlow is duplicate NetFlow records exported
from multiple routers. You¹ll want to be careful not to double count yet
catch everything sent/received by the logical IP block you¹re monitoring.

2. Monitor cache utilization; dropped flows leads to under reporting of
traffic volume. Fortunately this is in the customer¹s favor so not usually
an issue. Some level of product loss should be built into your billing
strategy anyway.

3. Understand NetFlow v1/5/7¹s limitations regarding multicast traffic. Also
remember that NetFlow monitors IP only.

4. Verify that your cache timers are compatible with the collector¹s
measurement intervals. Else you¹ll get a nasty sawtooth effect that
customers won¹t like.

5. Make sure you have a mechanism for detecting NetFlow outages. This is
more to protect you than the customer as they won¹t mind at all if your
missing traffic for a few hours.

6. Be aware of how ACLs and Null0 routed flows are reported. To bill or not
to bill for dropped flows and if you don¹t bill, how do you differentiate
dropped/not dropped?