[c-nsp] Cisco Dlsw deployment

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Thu May 3 04:47:30 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 2, 2007 11:04 pm, Jorge Evangelista wrote:

> I am going to deploy a VPN to pass traffic SNA over IP, I have
> researched that it can be deploy with DLSW, Could anyone recommend me
> suitable router for main office? , I am thinking suggest a Cisco 2801
> for main office and for remote offices 1811 (20 peers).
>
> Also, I want to know if there is a good perfomance when encrypt Dlsw
> over IPsec, I have found a link about it, but I do not know it can to
> degrade perfomance VPN or add more delay.

My experience is that DLSW performance is poor, period.

That said, I haven't re-visited it since I tested with a few hundred kb/s
being enough to utterly cripple a 2600 (although that may have been
pre-XM, it was a good few years ago).  Things may have improved - although
I strongly doubt the DLSW code is high on the candidate list for
optimisation within Cisco - and the ISRs are sufficiently grunty in
comparison to the 2600 that they might shrug it off, but I'd strongly
suggest to lab it before proposing or purchasing a solution.

Regards,
Tim.