[c-nsp] troubleshooting SVI input drops on MSFC3

barney gumbo barney.gumbo at gmail.com
Wed May 9 12:12:07 EDT 2007

I have a little more info this time..

It appears that the traffic is being process switched.

It started when this switch became more of a "router on a stick".
Previously most traffic flowed from one SVI to the other; this 6503 is
essentially an access or WAN router.  Now traffic flows from routers on the
same VLAN into the SVI and then back out of the SVI to get to the next hop,
which is a firewall, all on the same VLAN.

It seems like once the flow volume hits around 40 Mbps, the input drops
begin.

Going away from the router-on-a-stick design, where the bulk of the traffic
transit's across the switch instead of in/out the same interface, is not a
trivial change, so I would like to try and get some confidence that this is
related to the problem before I start to make changes.  This is all just a
guess, but it's the only major thing that has changed in the last week.

Any ideas if this could be my cause of process-switchng and input drops?

Any ideas on how I can verify the router-on-a-stick forwarding is definitely
to blame?