[c-nsp] BGP and HSRP

myNET NOC - Bernd Ueberbacher noc at mynet.at
Wed May 9 18:29:58 EDT 2007

Hi everyone!

I'm reading this list for a couple of months now and tonight I got my
first question :-)

We get a new location with 2 internet upstreams and I'd like to run HSRP
for fail-over. There is a bit of a strange topology though...
My carriers gave me 2x2 /30 for two BGP sessions so I can run on both
routers a full table BGP session to each of them. The problem(?) is that
behind those two routers, there is one router who wants to announce some
iBGP stuff to them. If I run HSRP on the "LAN" side, is it possible to
make a peering to the virtual HSRP IP? How would BGP handle this or
wouldn't this work at all?

My "dream" would be that I can peer the internal router with one IP in
the front, the active router announces those received routes to my
upstreams and if the active router fails, the secondary takes over and
starts to announce them over the other peering.

Should I completely wipe this idea and look for something else?

Somehow a stupid explanation and please excuse my poor English ;-)

Greets,
Bernd