[c-nsp] problem eith EIGRP and BGP

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Sun May 13 04:22:46 EDT 2007

sanju shastri <> wrote on Sunday, May 13, 2007 10:09 AM:

> HI all,
>
> I have a scenario in which a SP is giving L3 MPLS VPN to client having
> multiple locations.
>
> Now thw client is running EIGRP in his network and EBGP with SP.
>

> ON HUB location routes learned by router for remote branches via
> EIGRP is having an AD of 90 and learnned from EBGP are having a AD of
> 20. Becasuse of same the EBGP routes are given preference in any case.
>
> The client wants to give preference to routeds leaned by local EIGRP
> and want to make MPLS VPN link as a failover/secondary.
>
> well I can change AD for the EBGP session but it will reflected to
> all the subnet where i want it for some specific subnet.

you can selectively adjust the distance for specific subnets using the

 distance <distance> 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 <acl>

command (within router bgp), where you define the networks you want to
change the distance of in the access-list referenced there.

Not knowing details about the topology, but you might also be successful
when you increase eBGP admin distance from 20 to 100 or so, which is
higher than EIGRP internal distance (90), but lower than EIGRP's
external one (170). This way, only internal EIGRP prefixes (i.e.
originated within the same site) are preferred, while external ones
(possibly received from remote sites via the L3VPN) are preferred
through the local eBGP connection (with a backup to the redundant hub
router redistributing those into EIGRP).

	oli