[c-nsp] HWIC-4ESW and 2811 - slow speed

Dallas Helquist dallas at oldbrownjeep.net
Tue May 15 12:25:27 EDT 2007

Notes inline:

Roman Bestuzhev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I will be very appreciate for help in the following problem.
>
> I have 2811 with 10/100 ethernet switch module HWIC-4ESW. There is a problem
> with performance of this switch module.
>
> For example, when I measure speed between hosts being sit in the same vlan
> on that switch module the speed performance is from 200kbps to 3mbps. The
> exactly same thing appears when some hosts are on switch module (one ip
> subnet) and other hosts are on built-in fast ethernet interface (another ip
> subnet). This happens when interfaces on a switch module configured with
> speed 100 mb and with duplex of full or auto.

I've never used a 2811 w/ HWIC-4ESW, but if you are hard setting
speed/duplex on a interface you also need to hard set the other side.
If you don't, the side that is sitting at auto will most likely fall
back to half duplex (this is what should happen I believe..but depending
on the vendor your mileage may vary).  Both sides need to match.  I'd
try auto on both first, and then manually verify they have all
negotiated in agreement, it sounds to me like a duplex mis-match.

So try this:  hard set the 2811 to 100/full, do the same on the hosts (I
assume they are connected directly into the HWIC-4ESW).  Verify by doing
a "sh int" on the cisco and running the appropriate command for the
host(s) in question.  After clearing counters and generating some
traffic, there shouldn't be any errors etc.   Post the results of the
show commands if you are still having problems.
> But if I configure speed value on HWIC-4ESW interfaces as 10mb/full duplex,
> everything goes fine, speed performance is almost 10mbps.
>
> So the question is - is there any solution for this problem or I need just
> change the module to other one?
>
> Tools - iperf and ftp, ios - 12.4-9T. Several good ethernet cables was used.

Since I haven't used the router/wic in question I am unfamiliar with
what IOS problems etc. there may be.

-dallas