[c-nsp] Why it won't route vlan 1 ?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed May 16 04:39:58 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 09:40:10AM +0200, jcovini at free.fr wrote:
> Thanks you all folks for your detailed explanations. Now that Im hitting a wall
> with the 6500/sup720 based platform, would you recommend another platform that
> would allow to replicate a (bad) C8540 setup ? (i.e., allow vlan-1 tagged L3
> subinterfaces, and also, allow to use the same vlan tags over different physical
> interfaces) ? I believe I should look within the 7200 series platform.

It really depends on your needs.  The 7200 will do everything you could
imagine, feature-wise, does has not have the sheer horsepower of the 7600
(read: if you need more than a few 100 mbits, depending on NPE, the 7200
will run out of steam).

If you need more bandwidth than the 7200 can give you, you might want to
consider reorganizing parts of the network - but that very much depends on
the network size and layout.  For some, it might be less effort (read:
money) than a 7200 would cost - for others, it's just about impossible.

If you have the money, consider a GSR (12000), or a SIP+GE-SPA for the
7600.  Both cost a huge lot of money, but will have the full flexibility
*and* the raw power...

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de