[c-nsp] Why it won't route vlan 1 ?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed May 16 07:26:16 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 16 May 2007, jcovini at free.fr wrote:
> Thanks you all folks for your detailed explanations. Now that Im hitting a
> wall with the 6500/sup720 based platform, would you recommend another
> platform that would allow to replicate a (bad) C8540 setup ? (i.e., allow
> vlan-1 tagged L3 subinterfaces, and also, allow to use the same vlan tags
> over different physical interfaces) ? I believe I should look within the
> 7200 series platform.

Just out of curiosity, why are you migrating from the 8540's in the first
place?  What feature are you missing that the 12.1(26)E IOS can't do?  I ask
because my backbone here is migrating to 8540MSR's (with the ARM, so I can do
mixed ATM and L3 interfaces) from a really old 3Com CoreBuilder 7000 ATM
base.  In my case, I have lots of RFC1483, CLIP, and LANE endpoints that will
still need to be supported after the migration.

7200's will be slower, in many cases MUCH slower than those 8540's are; the
8540's do wire-speed routing, with 5Gbps full-duplex non-blocking bandwidth
to each slot, and are very fast as long as your port density requirements
aren't very high (mine aren't).
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer