[c-nsp] When to switch to DFC3BXL

Richard J. Sears rsears at adnc.com
Wed May 16 19:23:29 EDT 2007

I am looking for some input on how to determine a good time to move from
CFCs to DFCs. I am running SUP720-3BXL engines now on all of my 6509s
but only running my 6748 blades with the WS-F6700-CFC.

Is there some stats I should be looking at on the 6500 to let me know
when it would be a good idea to move from centralized forwarding to
distributed forwarding..? I am running a mix of the 6748-GE-TX and
6248A-TEL blades.

Most ports get only 10 to 15mbps, several get 600 to 800mbps.

Here is what I see when I show mls stats:

ROUTER-BR1#sh mls statistics

Statistics for Earl in Module 5

L2 Forwarding Engine
  Total packets Switched                : 2085876382490

L3 Forwarding Engine
  Total packets L3 Switched             : 2084698353828 @ 211719 pps

  Total Packets Bridged                 : 56107206223
  Total Packets FIB Switched            : 2027121731289
  Total Packets ACL Routed              : 0
  Total Packets Netflow Switched        : 0
  Total Mcast Packets Switched/Routed   : 378667094
  Total ip packets with TOS changed     : 2
  Total ip packets with COS changed     : 2
  Total non ip packets COS changed      : 0
  Total packets dropped by ACL          : 993799
  Total packets dropped by Policing     : 0
  Total packets exceeding CIR           : 0
  Total packets exceeding PIR           : 0

Errors
  MAC/IP length inconsistencies         : 0
  Short IP packets received             : 0
  IP header checksum errors             : 0
  TTL failures                          : 18653539
  MTU failures                          : 0

Total packets L3 Switched by all Modules: 2084698353828 @ 211719 pps

Thanks