[c-nsp] Ds3 Issues

Mark Rogaski wendigo at pobox.com
Thu May 17 02:14:50 EDT 2007

An entity claiming to be Robert Boyle (robert at tellurian.com) wrote:
: At 10:07 PM 5/16/2007, Mark Rogaski wrote:
: >
: >Attenuation issues do not generally cause LCVs.  This is an issue somewhere
: >between the interface and the last device to regenerate the signal (either
: >the mux or any media converter in-line).  Most LCVs are caused by bad
: >cabling or a bad DSX.  You may want to exercise all the connectors between
: >the router and the telco mux.
:
: I respectfully disagree. We have seen on every PA-MC-* we use
: anywhere in the country that a hot signal from any Adtran OC3-DS3 mux
: gear will cause constant LCVs until we add 10-12db of attenuation on
: the receive side. Once this is done, all of the LCVs go away for
: good. I don't know that is his problem here, but when a hard loop
: shows good, I suspect a bad card or a LBO/attenuation issue.
:

I'm used to looking at existing production circuits.  LBO issues
are pretty rare with what we're looking at, and when we do see them they
are usually too cold.  I'd agree that LBO would be as likely if not more
for a new turn-up.

Mark

--
[]                    |  I often reflect that if "privileges" had been
[] Mark Rogaski       |  called "responsibilities" or "duties", I would have