[c-nsp] T1 Cables

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun May 20 01:08:31 EDT 2007

Yes, there are.  I forget the appropriate standard but your supposed
to use individually shielded pairs.  HOWEVER, this doesen't become
a problem unless your going a really long distance such as 500-1000
feet.  The teleco themselves run T1's on 100 pairs that are used as
IDFs inside of high rises all the time without trouble.

One thing I have found that can cause errors like this is clocking.
Traditionally, point to point spans would require one side set to
master clock, the other side set to slave clock.  But these days
telco's run T1's through multiplexers and while they are not supposed
to put clock on to the span, many many times I will have to set both
sides to obtain clock from the network.

Ted