[c-nsp] T1 Cables

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue May 22 10:05:49 EDT 2007

On Friday 18 May 2007, Vincent Aniello wrote:
> Are there cables specifically for use with T1s that we should be using
> to connect circuits to our Cisco routers with integrated CSU/DSUs?  We
> currently use CAT5E cables and have chronic problems with errors on a
> few of our circuits.  The cable length between the smart jack and router
> is 25 feet.

The T1's I've had experience with have all been wired RJ48S, which uses pairs
1-2 and 7-8 of the 8 pin plug (in TIA-568B that would be the orange-white and
brown-white pairs).  If your cables are TIA-568A or B they have the correct
pairing.  It's only if you have USOC RJ61 or similar that you have to worry,
as that splits the pairs.

One poster mentioned clocking; this I would check.  What sort of errors are
you getting from the controller?  I have one T1 here terminated in a RSM/VIP2
in a Cat5509 using a PA-MC-8T1.  Some providers have more problems with B8ZS
versus AMI, and I have seen odd problems with HDSL (PairGain) provisioned
T1's that were the fault of the carrier's shelf backplane.  Currently, the T1
that backs up our OC3 is provisioned over fiber with an FMT-6, and that has
been absolutely rock solid using a standard Cat5 cable about 100 feet long.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer