[c-nsp] C1841 vs C2651XM

Kevin Graham mahargk at gmail.com
Mon May 21 12:03:37 EDT 2007

On 5/21/07, Tim Franklin <tim at pelican.org> wrote:

> The 1841 also has hardware crypto included (rated 40Mbs 3DES, take with
> usual marketing salt), whereas you'd need the appropriate AIM for the
> 2651XM.

On the 1841 you've also got the option of a AIM-VPN/SSL if you go down
the GET path later. Also, don't forget that you also pick up and
additional 128mb of ram over the 2851XM, and CF-based flash, so
keeping a few extra images laying around is an option.

2600XM's went EOSales a couple of months ago, so you're at the end of
the feature road, whereas the ISR's all still have quite some time.

> If it's all Ethernet (ie things like the wireless and satellite are all on
> their own end-point devices with an Ethernet hand-off), I'd definitely
> look at the 1841.  If you've got any weird and wonderful interface cards,
> you might want to double-check compatibility.

With the huge variety of interfaces that have been released in the
last year in HWIC's, I would think this argument would be the other
way around. I'm drawing a blank on what the 2600's (besides 2612) can
terminate that a 1841 can't.

If connectivity is all ethernet, consider the 1811 (or 1811W), which
will save you some of the premium on 1841's modularity.