[c-nsp] C1841 vs C2651XM

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Mon May 21 11:29:42 EDT 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 3:41 pm, Moerman, Maarten wrote:

> I was browsing, googling etc for some comparison or speed specification
> of/between a C1841 and a C2651XM. But I cannot find anything that is
> telling me which one should be faster for which purpose. Maybe you guys
> can help me out. The purpose of my home router will be to extend it to a
>  C2924, and setup different vlans for my different neighbors (wireless
> access) I also do satellite card sharing, so I need encrypted tunnels to
>  other equipment (C800's, and some draytek equipped friends) I currently
>  have a C2610 for this purpose, but this machine is getting REAL slow
> when I have more than 3 tunnels online.

Raw Cisco numbers are 75Kpps for the 1841 against 37Kpps for the 2651XM.
I haven't done much with the 2651XM, but initial work with the 1841 feels
faster and better to cope with load / features than the 26[12][01]XM.

The 1841 also has hardware crypto included (rated 40Mbs 3DES, take with
usual marketing salt), whereas you'd need the appropriate AIM for the
2651XM.

If it's all Ethernet (ie things like the wireless and satellite are all on
their own end-point devices with an Ethernet hand-off), I'd definitely
look at the 1841.  If you've got any weird and wonderful interface cards,
you might want to double-check compatibility.

Regards,
Tim.