[c-nsp] 12.0 IOS still the preferred service provider train?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue May 29 11:18:46 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 09:17:42AM -0500, Smith, Tracy L wrote:
> Hi.  We're a small service provider with 12410s in the core, which have
> been running the 12.0 train for quite some time.  Is this still the
> preferred service provider IOS train?

You have not been running "12.0" - you have been running "12.0S", which
is a very very very different IOS.  And it's still the *only* IOS available
for GSRs - unless you can use IOS XR.

> Additionally, we only upgrade when there's a new feature that we need or
> when we've stumbled across an IOS bug and/or security advisory.  What
> other best practices are people turning to when upgrading IOS?

"Never touch a running system" - besides: new upgrades tend to bring in
lots of funny new "features" (read: bugs).  So we only upgrade if there
is either a serious bug, or a security issue.

(And yes, TAC tends to say "have you upgraded to the latest release?"
before even thinking about your problem - and I consider this one of
the more serious failings of TAC.  If there is good reason to assume
that a given bug is fixed in the latest release, fine with me - but
bluntly assuming that upgrading [thus: having downtime for the upgrade,
eventually more downtime for downgrading again] might magically fix
things is like "rebooting windows boxes will fix all problems")

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de