[c-nsp] WAN optimization in IP carrier

Raymond Macharia rmacharia at gmail.com
Wed May 30 01:36:04 EDT 2007

hi,
I work for and ISP and I am also in the process of looking for a WAN
optimization/acceleration appliance. I did look at the Cisco apliance (WAE)
however my Cisco account rep indicated to me that this will not work for me
so now I am back to the drawing board,
my candidates so far are
River Bed
F5 - BigIP
juniper - WX
Packeteer - SkyX

Raymond Macharia

On 5/29/07, Richard J. Sears <rsears at adnc.com> wrote:

> After a lot of research we went with the RouteScience PathControl system
> over other vendors.
>
> We are an ISP/Data Center with 6 - 1GB backbone connections spread over
> 3 GSR12Ks and about 30 private peering connections on a 6509/SUP720-3BXL.
>
> RouteScience was purchased by Avaya and the product is now called the
> Avaya Converged Network Analyzer.
>

> http://www.avaya.com/gcm/master-usa/en-us/products/offers/converged_network_analyzer.htm&View=ProdDesc
>
> According to Avaya:
>
> Avaya Converged Network Analyzer (CNA) can monitor, assess, and adjust
> the network delivery infrastructure in real time to maximize
> applications
> availability, while optimizing between cost and performance.
> The result is a network infrastructure that is self-healing and
> self-optimizing.
>
> I can tell you after using it for 3 years that those claims are very
> true. The cost is up there, but my customers love the overall
> connectivity stability that it provides.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> On Sun, 27 May 2007 00:18:56 +0200
> Dennis Breithaupt <mail at dennisbreithaupt.de> wrote:
>
> > Hy,
> >
> > you may take a close look on i.e. "Riverbed Steelhead" or "Bluecoat
> > MACH5" systems.
> >
> > (Search for "Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers, 2006;
> > Gartner" for a quite good comparison on the available systems.)
> >
> > Most of them can greatly eliminate redundant traffic patterns in
> > TCP-streams regardless of the application-layer protocol as long as the
> > stream is not already encrypted or compressed. Furthermore they do
> > generic compression and TCP-flow optimization between them.
> >
> > I think, they're targeted for corporate use, but may also be placed on
> > strategic places through your carrier-backbone or your peering-points.
> >
> > What are your design goals? What systems have you already tested and how
> > did/did'nt they fullfill your requirements?
> >
> > Generelly speaking, I think there lies much potential in WAN
> > optimization and traffic reduction, not realized yet. ...and I
> > personally find the topic extremely interesting :)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dennis
> >
> > Pak Tong Poy schrieb:
> > > Hi group,
> > > Anyone knows if there is any WAN optimization product for IP carrier
> > > environment? I know there are product for entreprise environment. If
> so
> > > there are, anyone knows any IP carrier use them?
> > > Many thanks,
> > [...]

Raymond Macharia