[c-nsp] NPE-G1/G2 vs NSE-1

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed May 30 14:35:16 EDT 2007

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Kanagaraj Krishna wrote:

>   What is the difference between this engine models on the 7200 series? From
> what I've gathered, the NPE supports multiservice requirement like IPv6 etc.
> As for the NSE, its more towards hardware based forwarding resulting in higher
> packet transmission and throughput. Am i right?

The NSE-1 was originally designed to try to improve throughput by using
Parallel eXpress Forwarding (PXF), but the implementation of PXF seems to
have been buggy from the start - to the point where it's common to hear of
people running NSE-1s with PXF disabled.  In that case, the NSE is roughly
equivalent to an NPE-225 in terms of packet forwarding performance.  The
NPE-G1 and G2 are much more powerful in that regard.

Search through the archives of this list from this month and you'll find
at least one other NSE vs. NPE thread.  You can get to the archives by
going to the appropriate URL that's at the bottom of each message that
gets sent to the list.

jms