[c-nsp] Inbound redundancy with two ISPs

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 12:37:17 EDT 2007

While I'm in favor of the customer ponying up the $ for their own
ASN, I've seen ISPs that advocate using private ASNs, just to save
time and money for the customer.   The key that you are missing is
that the provider that assigns the /24 advertises that along with
their parent aggregate, so some proper load balancing can occur.
Otherwise it's just a backup connection.  The "other" ISP may not
always play ball with this scenario because it appears the space
originated from them, not the customer, especially larger ISPs.
Then they have to get an ASN, and might as well get their own prefix
while they are at it.

Phil