[c-nsp] Inbound redundancy with two ISPs

Steve Bertrand cisco at ibctech.ca
Thu Nov 1 12:35:38 EDT 2007

Seth Mattinen wrote:
> Steve Bertrand wrote:
>>
>> - 'A' routes a /24 to OP
>> - OP advertises the /24 to provider A and B via BGP with personal local
>> preferences in place
>> - A advertises it's aggregate including the /24 to the 'net
>> - B advertises the more specific /24 prefix to the 'net
>> - OP uses an ASN from the private range, which both A & B must agree to
>> honour
>>
>> I'd really like to understand this, because I've never had to deal with
>> a situation where I've received a prefix from one ISP and needed to
>> multi-home with it. (I have my own ARIN prefix).
>>
>> Will the more specific /24 route advertised to the 'net by B not be the
>> preferred route at all times?
>>

> Minus the private ASN thing, I'm doing this right now from AS11170 if
> you want to look it up in some looking glasses. I am migrating to an
> ARIN /22, though.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I was just curious about the private ASN instead of OP not wanting to
get their own for their client, but then realized after I sent the
message that I must not be awake yet. I'm just so used to testing with
them that globally, I don't know what I was thinking ;)

Oh, and regarding another comment regarding the static route... I just
used poor wording and logic as I meant to say 'assigns'.

We had a planned hydro outage VERY early this morning and unfortunately
I had to be here when it happened...

Steve