[c-nsp] out-of-band management - modems?

Scott Granados gsgranados at comcast.net
Mon Nov 5 13:43:34 EST 2007

We're actually using DSL that's aggregated over a series of ATM connections
back to us where we can apply what ever IP services we need.  The advantages
here are none of the modem head aches and lots more pipe in the event of an
inband management failure.  Also, OSPF deals with this nicely rerouting
traffic over the DSL (which is less prefered) when the Inband management T1
fails.  No call completion crap shoot.  You also don't have to test your
dial network (deleting management PVCs etc) periodically to insure the
modems still work and the lines are active.  (not to mention losing
management in the event that test fails)  In our configuration though we're
using dedicated management routers in each CO, your milage and configuration
may vary.