[c-nsp] out-of-band management - modems?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Nov 5 14:07:57 EST 2007

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Furnish, Trever G wrote:

> This is probably a repeatedly asked question, even if not a frequently
> asked question.
>
> What is everyone doing for out-of-band management of WAN routers that
> don't have redundant data connections (or do)?  Modems?  Something else?
> I would appreciate suggestions for specific modems and/or methods.

We have a frame relay T1 in one of our core sites and we shoot 56k or 128k
PVCs over 56k or T1 transports respectively to out-of-band routers at each
location.  The WAN routers are normally 2611s with the async octopus
cables.  This works pretty well for us.

That doesn't protect us against backhoe fade of the telco feeder into the
building, but it's a start :)

jms