[c-nsp] 3560 and multicast

Mark Pace Balzan mpb at melitacable.com
Mon Nov 5 11:16:34 EST 2007

Hi All,

The datasheet for the C3560 states that it supports multicast routing
and up to 1000 IGMP groups and multicast routes, as well as line rate
replication.

To those that are using this box with production multicast traffic, what
is the real limitation that you have seen.  I don't plan to have BGP or
OSPF running, just some static routes to take care of unicast traffic
and PIM-SM for multicast routing.

My concern is how the box would handle state of many multicast groups
with falling over due to TCAM limitations, but the 1000 in the datasheet
is way more than I am planning to use, and I don't expect to bust it
with unicast routes.

So whats the difference in terms of multicast to say a 4500 - Is it just
more TCAM space allowing more entries in the 4500 beyond 1000?

Thanks

Mark