[c-nsp] Cisco's MVPN solution with or without MDT SAFI

Jeff Tantsura jeff.nsp at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 08:15:58 EST 2007

Hi Rod,

You should do it to fix CSCef97738

>From CCO:
Even though the benefits of MDT SAFI are for SSM tree building, MDT SAFI
must also be configured when using MVPN with the default MDT group in PIM
sparse-mode. From the multicast point of view, the new BGP AF does not need
to be configured for MVPN to work with a PIM-SM core. However, the fix for
CSCef97738, which was introduced in Release 12.0(30)S1, mandates that the
new address family be configured in order to create the MTI interface in
certain conditions. Without this notification, the multicast tunnel would
not be created, and hence MVPN will not work (even with PIM-SM). It should
be noted, that in the case of PIM-SM in the core, while the MDT SAFI needs
to be configured, it is not required to actually receive MDT advertisements
to establish MDT PIM relationships.

Cheers,
Jeff