[c-nsp] Removing VTP Server switch

Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com
Tue Nov 6 08:25:21 EST 2007

200+ switches 100 ish VLANs each on 10-50 swithches, thank goodness for
VTP!

Gert is dead right, been there, done that killed the switchblock.

VTP Golden Rule No 1
If you take a switch in/out of production, clear the VTP revision number!
Switch from server to trans or change the VTP domain.

VTP is great if you are carefull but it can bite you on tthe ass if you
take things out of then back into production.

>If you want fun, try this:
>
 >- connect another switch, have it learn the VTP database, make it a
   >VTP master  (VTP can have multiple masters)

 >- disconnect it, to use it in a lab setup, or so

 >- for the LAB setup, decide "oh, I don't need all those VLANs that are
   >there from the original setup"

 >- some time later, connect it back to the "real" setup, and watch all
   >VLANs on *all* switches go...

>gert
This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Limited nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.

For address and company registration details of certain entities
within the Corus group of companies, please visit
http://www.corusgroup.com/entities