[c-nsp] Broadcast storm control

Fred Reimer freimer at ctiusa.com
Tue Nov 6 15:53:04 EST 2007

Let me rephrase that:

How do we go about filing a PER so that a switch will accept the
same static MAC address configured for port security on two
different interfaces.  For instance, say you have a customer that
has a bunch of client routers plugged into a switch.  You want to
limit the number of MAC addresses in case one of those clients
does something weird like bridging a bunch of traffic or being
compromised, etc.  However, some clients have two routers and use
HSRP for redundancy.  With port security configured it will flag
a violation if it sees a dynamic MAC on one port that it has
learned on another port.  So the floating HSRP MAC will cause
problems until it times out of the port security database.  I'd
like the option of configuring "duplicate" static MACs on
different ports so that we can still enable port security yet
allow for fast cut-over for known MAC addresses.

Or as an addition, a global option to turn off the hold-time on a
MAC switching between ports to the port-security aging time.

If an interface goes down and the MACs are immediately removed
from the database that would be a plus, but HSRP may be tracking
a WAN interface and you may desire a move of the HSRP MAC to the
backup router even if the primary router LAN interface does not
go down.

If we can get a bunch of people to log the same issue then
there's a very slim chance to actually get this implemented in
some far-future version of code...

Fred Reimer, CISSP
Senior Network Engineer
Coleman Technologies, Inc.