[c-nsp] Broadcast storm control

Michael Malitsky malitsky at netabn.com
Tue Nov 6 19:40:28 EST 2007

Thanks everyone for the responses.
What I am gathering is that I should move all remaining high-bandwidth
customer connections to a 6500 (or another hardware-based L3 switch) and
make use of the additional L2 features available on those platforms.

If anyone is curious, the specific device I "lost" is a 7206VXR/300.
The customer is uplinked via a 100Mb VLAN trunked into the router with
some others on a PA-FE-TX (historical reasons behind this particular
setup).

I ran this scenario again in a test lab - the port got as high as
14.5kpps (while the switch was offering 89Mbps/68kpps).
With CoPP turned on, the highest ranking process is Net Input at about
6%.  CPU stays at 99%, console response is iffy, and practically no
response over IP (can ping router but can't telnet to it, can't pass
other traffic through).
With CoPP turned off, the highest ranking process is IP Input at about
18%, and I can't even ping the router.  In other words, CoPP doesn't
save the platform.

Thanks again,
Michael