[c-nsp] Rate limiting questions

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Nov 13 05:05:00 EST 2007

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 12:27:05PM +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:
> That only gets you halfway. The standby router still has a connected
> route which CANNOT be overridden by a routing protocol route; so in my
> original diagram if packets even *hit* the standby, they'll go out the
> 100meg link as opposed to across the gigE link to the active router
>
> It is also, as you say, very very ugly.

Another thing you can do, which is also very ugly: point more-specifics
directly to the LAN interface on the HSRP master.

Like this:

  interface GigE 1/3
    ip addr 10.1.1.252 255.255.255.0
    standby ip 10.1.1.254

  ip route 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.128 gige 1/3
  ip route 10.1.1.128 255.255.255.128 gige 1/3

this will force the traffic to be symmetric *if* the "master router" is
up and well-behaved - or if it's completely down.  If the "master router"
is acting as HSRP slave, it will force the traffic to be 100% asymmetric.

So: I would also like to see a feature where a HSRP/VRRP passive interface
gets removed from the RIB and FIB.  And yes, one would need to have a
"local policy" exception so that HSRP packets can still be sent and received.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de