[c-nsp] VPLS and BPDUs tunneling

Andrey Elperin mizzy at colocall.net
Thu Nov 15 07:55:52 EST 2007

 Hi,

 Judging by discussions on various websites and maillists, there
 is a common opinion that if we have H-VPLS with ethernet edge
 generally it's a bad idea to propagate u-PE BPDUs across MPLS
 core.

 Am I understanding correctly that main reason for not to tunnel
 BPDUs is spanning tree scalability issues ? E.g. even in case
 of RSTP/MSTP at some moment spanning tree convergence time
 will/may grow severely and there will be problem with network
 stability. Or maybe there are some other reasons for considering
 BPDUs tunneling harmful ?

 Anyway maybe some of you have expirience with BPDUs tunneling
 via VPLS ? Can your share your impressions about network
 stability then ?

 Actually the main question for me now sounds like "can BPDUs
 tunneling impcat network stability and is it depends on network
 size (number of POPs) ?". Your comments will be very much appreciated :)

 Thanks in advance.

--
Andrey Elperin