[c-nsp] traffic flow in 6500 switch with FWSM and MPLS VPN

Fred Reimer freimer at ctiusa.com
Fri Nov 16 10:07:34 EST 2007

That's correct.  The FWSM is just a (fast) PIX on a blade that is
connected to the switch with a hidden 6-port Etherchannel.  You
configure the VLANs on this hidden trunk (po272) with the
firewall commands on the SUP.  As far as routing and any other
traffic, consider it as a totally separate device.  You can have
multiple VLANs in different VRF's trunked to the FWSM, which will
just see them as different VLANs.  The FWSM has no concept of
VRF, it just sees the VLANs as separate interfaces.

Fred Reimer, CISSP, CCNP, CQS-VPN, CQS-ISS
Senior Network Engineer
Coleman Technologies, Inc.
954-298-1697