[c-nsp] SNMP Objects for total mac address and total vlans in use

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Nov 22 17:16:04 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 19:01 -0200, Eduardo Ascenco Reis wrote:
> I am currently using some expect scripts to gather these information
>  with commands like:
>
> 3550>sh mac-address-table | in Total Mac
> Total Mac Addresses for this criterion: 5481
> 3550>
>
> 3550>sh vlan summary | include existing VLANs
> Number of existing VLANs           : 845
> 3550>
>
> Does anyone knows a MIB OID to do that ? Or maybe another suggestion.

Don't know about any SNMP OID, but rcmd might be a more flexible
solution than expect scripts. If you control the path from the gathering
host to the switch there shouldn't be any great security risks. Expect
scripts would probably mean that you have some automatic means of
supplying a password, with associated problems.

Something like:

ip rcmd rsh-enable
ip rcmd remote-host <RSHUSER> <host ip> <RSHUSER> enable

in the config means that you can do a "rsh <switch ip> show vlan summ \|
incl existing VLANs" from your host as the RSHUSER user.

Regards,
Peter Rathlev