[c-nsp] STP root on CAT6513 with CatOS

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Nov 22 20:22:57 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 02:50 +0200, Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:
> Ιn IOS, the equivalent command (spanning-tree vlan x root) decreases
>  the priority automatically to a lower value than that of the current
>  root, if the current root is already <= 8192.

Yeah, and I think maybe CatOS does the same. I've never tried it in real
life though (already having a root <= 8192), so I can't say.

There's a confusing paragraph here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009467c.shtml
http://www.tinyurl.dk/2294

It says:

" Note: In this scenario, all the switches started with cleared
" configurations. Therefore, all the switches started with a bridge
" priority of 32768. If you are not certain that all the switches in
" your network have a priority that is greater than 8192, set the
" priority of your desired root bridge to 1.

But otherwise the document presents the feature you descibe.

Confusing. :-)

Regards,
Peter Rathlev