[c-nsp] Dialup problems on a AS5300

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Nov 26 18:16:28 EST 2007

We appear to be having dialup issues on one of our AS5300s.
Unfortunately they are not covered under a SmartNet (and can't be added
to a contract beginning Summer 06).  I've been hoping these things would
keep on working until we could kill our dialup offering but apparently
this one may be shooting craps on us.

I am not a access server buff and I'm not really sure what to look for.
  I see 47 modems marked as bad, 18 stuck in the download pending state,
and 35 active out of 192 modems.  Our average success rate has dropped
to 79%.  Some modems not yet marked as bad are down to 5x% success.
I'll send the 'sh modem' to anyone interested off list (too long for here).

This problem was believed to have been solved this AM before I got to
the office by our CO guys.  They disconnected each of the circuits, let
it error out, and then reconnected.  They thought this fixed the
problem.  I believe they simply kicked off the live customers, thus
fixing the busy signal issue.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can check?  What causes the 5300 to
think a modem is bad and is it really, in fact, bad?  I'm rather stumped
on this one.  I hate to take the spare 5300 out of our primary POP to
replace it because it died in the Spring during a physical move in the
CO.  We had to buy a grey-market PRI module to get it back online since
you can't buy new or refurb parts anymore.  These things had been
powered up and running for numerous years until this Spring when we
redid both POPs and moved them around.

Thanks
  Justin