[c-nsp] Getting Netflow information from an Extreme Networks network without Netflow/Sflow

Bill Nash billn at billn.net
Wed Nov 28 10:19:05 EST 2007

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Adam Powers wrote:

> I would definitely take a look at Luca Deri's nProbe (the same Italian that
> brought us ntop). This small linux/windows application simulates a router's
>
> I haven't worked with it myself but he even sells a small appliance that
> runs nprobe if you don't want to mess with building out an probe server
> yourself.
>
> http://www.ntop.org/nProbe.html

This probably isn't a bad move for those interested in flow statistics
without getting into the nuts and bolts of how it works. This will come
with the same caveat of finding an appropriate choke point to trap
traffic via span/port mirror. This solution will only scale so far before
you need to get exotic with your collector hardware. Given the original
requirements of an older network, I don't think that's a problem right
now.

To put some real numbers on this, 100megabit and 1gigabit are the simple
limits of this solution.

- billn