[c-nsp] SNMP, sysUpTime, and 32 bit counters

Matlock, Kenneth L MatlockK at exempla.org
Wed Nov 28 17:56:19 EST 2007

I'm running into a bit of a roadblock here. I've been working on some
simple reports to tell me how many ports on a particular router/switch
have not been used in X amount of time (30, 60, 90, 180 and 365 days). I
had originally planned on using the system.sysUpTime snmp mib to tell me
how long the chassis has been up, and the interfaces.ifLastChange tree
to give me timeticks since the last change (along with current status,
but that's not the issue).

Looking at things, the sysUpTime resolution is in 0.01 seconds, so the
counter rolls over every 497 or so days. I'm trying to find (without
much luck) a mib that gives me the real uptime (I know the system keeps
it, because a 'show ver' displays it).

I can do a quick hack to add 497 to the number of days if the interface
timeticks is greater than the sysUpTime timeticks, but that's only a
bandaid, and doesn't address when the interface Timeticks 'rolls over'.
(It also doesn't address multiple rollovers of the sysUpTime snmp
object, as we have many switches here that have 5+ years uptime now.

Does anyone know of any such MIB (or an easy way besides a convoluted
'expect' script) to be able to get the data I need?

Thanks!

Ken Matlock

Network Analyst

(303) 467-4671