[c-nsp] ASA 5505 or Netscreen 5GT - maturity?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Nov 30 00:18:23 EST 2007

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, jacob c wrote:

>  I am looking to do a hardware refresh for my VPN site-to-site
> connections. I have traditionally used the Juniper Netscreen series for
> this and really enjoyed it. I am seriously contemplating using ASA 5505
> boxes for the remote sites this time. I will have a total of 8 sites
> with about 25 users at each site.
>
>  Does anyone have any input/recommendations with using the ASA 5505 or
> how it compares to the Netscreen 5GT? Is the ASA mature? The 5GT boxes
> would run forever without a hitch. I don't have experience with the ASA
> appliances so I'm looking for some input before I purchase anything.

I don't have any experience with the 5GTs, but the ASA is basically a
modernized version of the PIX, so I would consider it to be stable.  I
have a handful deployed at work and at client sites and haven't had any
major problems with them.

I think it really boils down to 1. which one you're more confortable with,
which sounds like it would be the Netscreen box, and/or 2. cost.

jms