[c-nsp] ASA 5505 or Netscreen 5GT - maturity?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Nov 30 02:17:56 EST 2007

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 03:40:33PM -0800, jacob c wrote:
>   I am looking to do a hardware refresh for my VPN site-to-site
> connections. I have traditionally used the Juniper Netscreen series
> for this and really enjoyed it.

In that case - what's wrong with "stay with what you have and what you know"?

> I am seriously contemplating using ASA 5505 boxes for the remote sites
> this time. I will have a total of 8 sites with about 25 users at each site.
>
>   Does anyone have any input/recommendations with using the ASA 5505
> or how it compares to the Netscreen 5GT? Is the ASA mature? The 5GT
> boxes would run forever without a hitch. I don't have experience with
> the ASA appliances so I'm looking for some input before I purchase anything.

I completely fail to understand the mindset behind this question.

You have a working solution, and a product that you like, and the company
is still around and still makes the same sort of boxes (the SSG5 would be
the successor to the 5GT - faster, less licensing restrictions, but very
similar overall look&feel).

So why on earth are you considering going to a completely different product
family, with a different UI, and having no experience with that platform?

Just because it has a sticker "Cisco!" on it?

(We're very happy users of Netscreen firewalls.  We have a few PIXen, and
we don't like them very much.  OTOH, IPv6 support in PIX is better than
in Netscreen...)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de