[c-nsp] Cisco RPS for 3550 switch

TCIS List Acct listacct at tulsaconnect.com
Mon Oct 1 15:05:33 EDT 2007

Daniel Suchy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 10/01/2007 06:07 PM, TCIS List Acct wrote:
>> I've reviewed various threads in the archive, and see where others have had
>> problems with the RPS-300's allowing fall-back to the internal A/C power supply
>> after it has taken over on the DC source.  Was this an IOS issue, a hardware
>> issue with the switch and/or RPS, or ?
>
> It's a switch/hardware issue.

Understood.  I found a Cisco bug on this issue, that basically says "some
switches may reboot upon transfer back to internal power, some may not, do at
your own risk".

>> Also, I keep seeing this warning in the docs:
>>
>> "The Catalyst 3550 switch and the Cisco RPS 300 or RPS 675 should be connected
>> to the same AC power source."
>
> I had never problems with this - I always used RPS for redundancy (using
> splitted power feeds).

Good to hear.  I couldn't understand the logic behind the "same AC power source"
statement, unless it was just protecting Cisco from having to deal with the
issue above (not failing back to the internal P/S once the RPS has taken over),
which would be more likely in a scenario where the RPS and internal P/S were on
different feeds.

--Mike